With many of our national championships scheduled to take place this spring, Orienteering USA has announced a first-of-its-kind program to promote participation in multiple A-meets.
Dubbed the “2012 Championships Challenge,” this program will reward all individuals who enter and compete in at least three of the scheduled nine A-meet weekends from February through June, 2012*. These orienteers will receive a custom-designed racing shirt acknowledging their accomplishment.
Eligible event weekends (< click link to events calendar for details/website for each):
- U.S. Ski Orienteering Championships, February 2–5 – California (BAOC)
- U.S. Two Day Classic Championships, March 10–11 – North Carolina (BOK)
- Sprint Black Diamond, March 17 – California (GetLost!!)
- Flying Pig XVI, March 30–April 1 – Kentucky (OCIN)
- U.S Individual Championships and Trail Orienteering Championships, April 13–15 – Georgia (GAOC)
- U.S. Interscholastics and Intercollegiates Championships, April 20–22 - Washington (COC)
- West Point A-meet, May 5–6 – New York (USMAOC)
- Western Mass 5 Day, May 26-27 – Massachusetts (NEOC)
Sprint the Golden Gate, June 8-10 – California (GetLost!!) cancelled
What do I have to do? (updated 21 March 2012**)
- Enter and compete in at least three of the weekends (or qualify by having a major role--see the fourth bullet item). Competing at least one time at the championship level (non-recreational; that is, in your age group) per weekend counts as a weekend.
- If you compete in both Foot and Trail Orienteering in Georgia it counts as one weekend.
- You must be a member in good standing of Orienteering USA as of July 1, 2012.
- Volunteers having a major role in one of the above A-meets can use that service to qualify. The following major roles qualify: Event Director, Course Setter, Course Vetter, Event/Course Consultant, Event Advisor. The rules are that you must run at least two events and volunteer in at least one other. Such qualifiers must petition Glen Schorr at gjs [at] orienteeringusa [dot] org by June 20th, 2012.
What do I win?
- A custom technical running shirt. Distinctions will be made for how many weekends you competed.
Do I have to fill out any special paperwork or forms?
- No, as long as your individual event entry forms are correct, you will be counted.
How and when will I get my shirt?
- You will receive an email notifying you of your prize and requesting your shirt size. Once we receive all winners’ information we will make the shirts.
- Shirts will be mailed to you.
- Update July 30:
Thanks to all for your participation in the 2012 Championships Challenge Program. 158 of you participated in at least three A-meets this spring.
We are in the process of finalizing production of the shirts and contacting those who earned a shirt for size and shipping information.
Thanks for your patience and participating in the Championships Challenge.
If you have any other questions regarding the Championships Challenge: Please contact OUSA Executive Director Glen Schorr at gjs [at] orienteeringusa [dot] org.
Updated 8 February 2012
* Since additional A-meets were added in January/February, the Challenge has expanded to include them all; notification date updated.
Updated 21 March 2012
** Added information about OUSA membership requirement and major volunteers at spring A-meets.
Updated 30 July 2012
Thank you for your patience.