Rogaine Links & Information
- Sun and moon calculator
- Rogaine router: Windows software for generating an optimal path through controls (not allowed to be used for planning during rogaine competition; for training only)
To Rogaine Event Organizers:
The Orienteering USA (OUSA) Rogaining Committee would love to help you organize your navigation race. We provide Orienteering USA sanctioning: consultation on (1) organizing the event as a whole, as well as (2) map-making and (3) course-setting. Our mission is to enable high-quality, fair, competitive, safe and enjoyable 24-hour navigation races. We follow the Orienteering USA Rules of Rogaining, which in turn draw from the international rules as developed by the International Rogaining Federation, or IRF. (Orienteering USA is applying for membership in the IRF and anticipates joining in 2011.)
Orienteering USA will work with orienteering clubs, outdoor event management companies -- anyone interested in hosting an official nav-24 race.
One important thing about having your event sanctioned by Orienteering USA is that the event's competitors will be officially eligible for consideration for the U.S. Rogaining Team, which becomes relevant when World Rogaining Championships have limited entries.
For more information consider reading : "Organizing A Rogaine" by Rod Costigan
We are interested in working with technology to allow real-time tracking of teams, to augment the audience experience. Let us know if you have ideas for how to make this work.
Planning a Rogaine? Plan to get it Sanctioned
Obtaining sanctioning from Orienteering USA for your next rogaine event can benefit you and your participants -- here's how:
- Excellent advice from the entire rogaine committee, as well as an event consultant and a course consultant who will work with you in the months leading up to the rogaine with the shared goal of having a safe, enjoyable and high-quality event.
- Access to our growing network of contacts to advertise the event outside normal orienteering circles.
Steps to Obtain Sanctioning for a Rogaine
Sanctioning a rogaine is similar to sanctioning a national meet, and currently uses the same sanctioning application form.
- Review the Sanctioning Form.
- Review the planning calendar, the North American rogaine schedule and various sanctioning calendars to get an idea of what else is going on, and attempt to avoid/resolve any conflicts.
- Sanctioning applications should be submitted at least 6 months prior to the event. We will consider shorter timelines if necessary.
- Championship bids for the next calendar year are due September 1 of the current year. Note that a bid on a championship can be made after the sanctioning application has been submitted; they do not need to be submitted at the same time.
- Fill out the form and e-mail it to the Chair of the Rogaine Committee (currently Bud Laird). Incomplete forms, including those missing the safety plan, will be returned.
- Clean bids should then go to the committee within 3 days of their receipt by the Rogaine Committee chair. The committee will then vote for the next 2 weeks or so. Expect the total process to take about 3 to 4 weeks from submission.
Please note the following special considerations for rogaines:
- Safety and water placement plans are of great importance.
- The event should follow Orienteering USA’s rogaine rules.
- Please note that solo competitors should not be allowed on 24-hour events.
- Hash house food plans will be reviewed by the committee.
- Consideration should be given to ways to minimize risk of sleep-deprived competitors driving following the event. (Consider support for carpooling, designated drivers, allowing camping the night after the event, etc.)
- We encourage organizers to offer discounts to competitors in exchange for their volunteering to help work the event.