News for Junior Orienteers
- Junior National Team has been selected. Congratulations to all athletes ...Read more
- JWOC 2017 Team Selection Criteria posted. Team Trials will be held in Minnesota, hosted by MNOC. Tentatively, the Long race will be held at Mill Lac; the Middle at Interstate. Sprint location is TBD.
- Congratulations to Team USA for retaining the Future Champions Cup, won at the NAOC 2016 events in Hanover, New Hampshire.
- Congratulations to the Junior Team representing the U.S. at JWOC 2016!
- Colin Beverage (QOC) and Dylan Poe (OCIN) added to Junior National Team
- JTESC has a new Chair and new member
- JWOC Trials will be held at the West Point National Meet, April 23-24. Pre-register on the Event Register site!
- Follow the Juniors as they compete this summer in Europe!
February 24, 2015
January 9, 2015For news prior to 2015, see the Junior News Archive
Support the Team with a donation online or by mail. You can specify that your donation be allocated to the Junior Team.
Junior Team Executive Steering Committee (JTESC)
Committee Chair: Bill Langton, SLOC (bill.langton [at] gmail [dot] com)
Junior Team Administrator: -- vacant --
Junior Team Coach: Erin Schirm, BAOC (erin_schirm [at] orienteeringusa [dot] org)
JTESC members: Guy Olsen, HVO; Cristina Luis, TSN / Norway; Andrea Schneider, MNOC; Brenda Blacklock, ICO
--JTESC list updated 13 Feb 2016
Orienteering USA Partners with Road ID to Support Juniors
Orienteering USA is teaming up with RoadID, and the goal of the arrangement is to produce revenue that will support junior orienteering programs.
RoadID is a personalized identification product that can be used by an athlete while training and competing. In the case of accident or medical emergency, it can provide valuable information to medical personnel. RoadID offers a measure of safety that athletes, their family and coaches will appreciate.
Purchases can be made through a link on the Orienteering USA website or with an order form that is being supplied to clubs and A meets. A part of each purchase will be used to fund programs for Juniors like the summer trips to participate in international orienteering meets and other efforts like the junior development team.
To produce a commission for Orienteering USA, an order must be placed:
- through the link on the Orienteering USA website (by clicking here or on the O Vendors page)
- via a coded order form (available from your club)
- or by supplying the Orienteering USA code (14F) when ordering by phone or going directly to RoadID's website
Check out the styles of personalized identification offered by Road ID by using the link above, or on the O Vendors page. Order one for yourself and every athlete in your family. Show your RoadID to your friends, classmates, and teammates, and give them the Orienteering USA URL (www.orienteeringusa.org) so their order will go through the link. Every single order (including other products available on the RoadID website) will yield financial support for junior programs.
The Road ID promotion is an outgrowth of an idea to sell merchandise that would provide a dedicated stream of income for junior orienteering. We didn't get very far due to the challenges of designing, stocking and shipping merchandise. Other hurdles were a lack of money to invest in inventory and the manpower to do the requisite financial accounting. The RoadID arrangement requires only that Orienteering USA promote the product.
Other Fund Raising for the U.S. Junior Team
- Current fund raising efforts involve selling food at A-meets to hungry orienteers. All Juniors and their families, in fact anyone interested in supporting the effort, are encouraged to volunteer at the Junior Concession Fund Raisers. Please contact Barb Bryant if you are interested in helping.
- Silent Auctions are often conducted at one of the spring A-meets (sometimes the West Point A-meet in late April or early May). Donations of all kinds of items, from crafts to usable household items to coupons for free meet entry, are welcome and appreciated. Watch for announcements of future Silent Auctions on the USOFClubnet mail list and on Attackpoint.
- In 2006 and 2007, we raffled tickets to win a T-shirt quilt similar to the one pictured at right. Funds raised benefit the Junior Team. The winners of those quilts were Suzanne Armstrong and Donna Fluegel. Anyone interested in coordinating similar projects can contact Orienteering USA to find out how Janet Porter organized them.