2012 U.S. Mountain Bike Orienteering Team
In the June 2012 edition of the Orienteering USA E-newsletter
, Peter Goodwin, President, and Glen Schorr, Executive Director, reported:
"For the first time ever," Orienteering USA is fielding a team* to represent the United States at the 2012 World Mountain Bike Orienteering Championships in Veszprém, Hungary. With a model event on August 19, 2012, and championship events running through August 25, 2012, these "world championships will include over 300 riders from 24 nations."
"The members of this all-female team are Susan Grandjean (CROC), Rebecca Jensen (COC), and Abra McNair (CROC). All have raced in both USA Cycling MTB competitions as well as in [orienteering] A-meets. Demonstrating another link between the various O disciplines, Susan (originally a member of CNYO) was on three previous Ski O squads, most recently in 2009."
"MTBO has a fine future in North America, and these athletes are leading the way. While the MTBO effort was too new to be included in the 2012 Orienteering USA budget (which provided significant funding to almost all other teams), if you're a fan of mountain biking and orienteering you can help Team USA and the sport by donating now. Donations made before July 1 will be worth twice as much to the Team thanks to a matching grant from an anonymous donor, so please as a club or personally donate now by clicking this link and selecting 'Team USA - Mountain Bike Team' as the program to receive your donation. More is always better, but even if it's just $5, every donation helps!"
* Individual U.S. athletes have competed at the World MTBO Championships in the past, but this is the first Team.
Team USA (from left to right): Rebecca Jensen (back; Cascade OC), Susan Grandjean (front; Columbia River OC), Abra McNair (Columbia River OC)
On the far right is Sanja Žužić from Croatia who just couldn't resist jumping into the shot.
Follow the Athletes:
U.S. MTBO Team Members Featured in Online Articles
- Susan Grandjean is featured in an article in the July 16, 2012, edition of The Palladium-Times, Oswego, NY.
- Susan Grandjean and Abra McNair are featured in an August 3, 2012, article on BikePortland.org.
- Susan Grandjean, Rebecca Jensen, and Abra McNair are featured in an August 4, 2012, article on Reckoneer.com.
- Rebecca Jensen is featured in an August 14, 2012, article in The Issaquah Press, Issaquah, WA.
MTB Orienteering World Cup 2010, Balatonfüred, Hungary
MTB Orienteering World Cup 2011, Tapolca, Hungary
|Contact: Robert Buraczynski (rburaczynski [at] localnet [dot] com)||last updated 03 April 2013|